Maryam is Maryam! Peace Be Upon Her.
Whenever I read Surah Mar’yam, I feel so inspired and happen to end by saying I love Mar’yam عليها السلام
Indeed her contribution, status, role and honour are far greater than what one can could think, say or write about.
We as Muslims have real claim, and greater right for being attached with this immaculate Muslim lady than any Christian would have. For we look at her with much reverence and respect, and draw inspiration from her. By the virtue of being the mother of one of the greatest of Prophets of Allah – Eesa alaihis salam – Maryam عليها السلام is our mother as well, and an exemplary role model.
* Mar’yam is the only woman mentioned by name in the Qur’an, which indeed is an honour by itself.
* Mar’yam was the blessed daughter of Imran, and so her full name is Mar’yam bint Imran
* Mar’yam is described as being اصْطَفَاكِ ‘the chosen one’ twice in one single verse of the Qur’an.
* Allah honoured Maryam by favouring her above all other women of mankind!
* The name Mar’yam is repeated 34 times in the glorious Qur’an.
* Going by nomenclature, there are three chapters in the Qur’an that are explicitly and implicitly connected to Mar’yam’s name! The 19th chapter of the Qur’an is named Surah Mar’yam. 3rd Chapter bears her father’s name: Surah Aale Imraan, while the 5th chapter is named in reference to a special du’aa made by her son: Surah Al Maa’idah.
* When Maryam was born, her mother was upset because she gave birth to a female! But Allah said of her وَاللَّـهُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا وَضَعَتْ “Allah knows best of what she delivered” . This saying of Allah is in fact a glorious tribute to Mother Mar’yam! (Read this ayah for details)
* She was named Mar’yam by her mother.
* Mar’yam was born in a pious family. Mar’yam had an elder sister (whose name is not mentioned in the Qur’an) who was married to Prophet Zakariyyah. So Prophet Zakariyyah was Maryam’s brother-in-law and his son, Prophet Yahyaa, was Maryam’s nephew. Prophet Eesa, Maryam’s son, was the maternal cousin of Prophet Yahyaa.
* Mar’yam is seen addressed as Ukht Haroon. This could either mean that Mar’yam had a brother called Haroon, or she belonged to the lineage of Prophet Haroon, the brother of Prophet Musa.
* Prophet Zakariyyah was Mar’yam’s care-taker.
* Prophet Zakariyyah used to find Mar’yam in devotion the sacred chamber and used to get stunned by the miracle of Maryam! “Every time Zakariyyah entered upon her in the prayer chamber, he found with her provision. He said, “O Mar’yam, from where is this [coming] to you?” She said, “It is from Allah. Indeed, Allah provides for whom He wills without account.” Subhanallah!
* Mar’yam was born in Palestine and dedicated herself for the ibadah in the Bait al Maqdis.
* In two places in the glorious Qur’an, Allah asserts and presents Mar’yam as being the one who guarded her chastity: الَّتِي أَحْصَنَتْ فَرْجَهَا Mar’yam’s modesty and chastity is one shining example for all the sincere Muslim women to emulate in their life. Read this and this aayaat of the Qur’an.
* Mar’yam’s piety inspired Prophet Zakariyyah to make a moving du’aa to Allah for offspring. Allah accepted his du’aa and Yahyaa was born. So in this way we can say that Yahyaa being born to Zakariyyah was the result of Mar’yam’s inspiration.
* If at all any mother has the honour and privilege of being mentioned with her son’s name, she is this blessed mother: Mar’ yam عليها السلام For she was the mother of Eesa ibn Mar’yam, Jesus, the son of Mary.
* Mar’yam is the only miraculous lady in the history of mankind for having defied science. She delivered a baby without undergoing the human process of conception. Eesa ibn Maryam was born without a father! Subhanallah!
* Mar’yam was an embodiment of patience and courage. When people talked bad about her becoming pregnant, she left Bait al Maqdis and went to Bethlehem and withdrew herself to a remote corner preferring to stay away from the gossiping world!
* Through Mar’yam the world came to know that it is nutritious to have dates at the time of pregnancy and childbirth.
* Mar’yam is the only mother in the history of humanity whose son had the privilege of talking while still being in the cradle! Read this and this from the glorious Qur’an.
* Mar’yam is the only blessed mother in human history whose son will have a second coming in this world!
* Mar’yam is the role model for the believing Muslims, today and forever!
* In the life and story of Mar’yam and her son there are great signs for a people of understanding. Let none carry doubt about the power of Allah. He is the Doer of what He Wills!
May Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon this noble Muslim woman: Mar’yam عليها السلام
Jazakallaah Khayr for reading this post. Baarakallaahu Feekum.
PS: Read an inspirational post on another great Muslim woman: “Then He will Not Neglect Us”