Rabbee Zidnee ‘Ilma
رَّبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا Those who know this du’aa from their childhood and are in the habit of making this du’aa very often are immensely fortunate.
By teaching this du’aa, parents and teachers in fact connect their children with knowledge and the Source of all knowledge. And this connection stays till a person’s last breath. Subhanallaah!
Affectionately taught by man’s very First Teacher – Allah – to man’s Last Prophetic-Teacher, Prophet Muhammad (sal-lal-laahu-alahi-wa-sallam), this du’aa is highly meaningful:
“So high [above all] is Allah, the Sovereign, the Truth. And, [O Muhammad], do not hasten with [recitation of] the Qur’an before its revelation is completed to you, and say, “My Lord, increase me in knowledge.” (Surah Taha 20: 114)
Unfortunately some Muslim authors/translators have done dis-service in presenting a wrong translation of this beautiful du’aa. Translating this du’aa as “My Lord! Increase my knowledge'” is to belittle the ayah’s connotation.
A Muslim must say this to himself: It is not that I am asking Allah to increase ‘my knowledge’ but I am seeking ‘my growth’ ‘my enrichment’ in knowledge, wisdom and intellect.
Personality development is the key.
Dear brothers and sisters, how refreshing it would be if we say رَّبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا keeping the following meanings in mind, Inshaa’Allah.
My Lord! Increase me in knowledge.
My Lord! Elevate me in knowledge.
My Lord! Advance me in knowledge.
My Lord! Uplift me intellectually.
My Lord! Enrich me in wisdom.
My Lord! Improve me in spiritual matters.
My Lord! Raise me in morals.
My Lord! Uphold me in education.
My Lord! Make me dominant in sciences.
My Lord! Sparkle me intellectually.
The element hidden in this du’aa is one’s upbringing. Not that you seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge. You grow up in knowledge. And you stop growing when you stop learning!
Islam teaches us to seek knowledge to reform ourselves. To educate our community. To promote our values. To advance our civilization. To uphold our culture. To spread our deen. To make our dunya happy. To make our Aakhirah fruitful. To dominate scientifically, culturally and morally. To build a viable and a caring society. To rule the world with Divine Guidance.
To achieve all this, effort is needed. That is what we seek through this du’aa.
“O Allah! Bless me with the Tawfeeq to transform myself into a learned and upright individual”.
We Muslims must seek our development and success through creative knowledge and wisdom. By looking beyond the sky. By being masters in the field, not servants at someone’s mercy! Definitely not via imitating others. Not copying science and technology from people with materialistic mindsets and hegemonic attitudes. But by participating in the global world through innovation in all branches of knowledge, not just in science and technology. Through ethics and excellence. Morals and manners. This is what we seek – and must seek – through this du’aa: رَّبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا
I would like to conclude by highlighting an issue: the articulation of Arabic letters.
You know the word ‘Ilm with the letter Ayn means knowledge. If mispronounced, you substitute Ayn with Alif.
And Ilm with the letter Alif means pain!
So are we unknowingly seeking pain and an increase in pain?!!
Of course, Allah knows our intentions and understands what we mean. So He will bless us with knowledge and intellect but then what is our role in the articulation of Arabic words?
While we seek to understand the du’aa of our childhood, let us also improve our pronunciation, Inshaa’Allah.
Seek knowledge. Be upright. Stay blessed!
Jazakallahu Khayra for reading this post of mine.
Share or Not. Choice is Yours. If you share, Allah will reward you. That makes a huge difference.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
April 2, 2013 - Posted by MuQeet | Du'aas - Qur'anic, Reflections, Seeking Knowledge | Allah, Dua, education, Hikmah, Ilm, Increase me in knowledge, Islam, Islamic sciences, Knowledge, Muslims, Quran, Quran blog, Rabbi Zidni Ilma, science and technology, Supplication, Surah Taha, Wisdom, Yassarnalquran
23 Comments »
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- Please SCROLL DOWN to find amazing resources, InshaaAllah.
- The Guide ↑ that inspires one to GET CLOSER to the Qur'an. Subhanallaah!
- About CHM file: After download, save, right click, go to Properties, and click Unblock. This has to be done only for the first use.
- Saheeh International's Translation is the most accurate of all English translations of the Qur'an that are available till date.
Knock, and it will Open!To know what this du'aa is about, keep the cursor on this image.
Thank You Akismet :)
W e l c o m e :)
ما شآء الله and الحمد لله for this blog.
هذا من فضل ربّ This is From the Blessings of my Lord.
اللهم بارك لنا فيما أعطيت O Allah! Bless Us in what You've given us.
All Posts, category-wise ↓
All posts, month-wise ↓
TOP POSTS alhamdulillah
- "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel"
- Saying "Laa Haula Wa Laa Quwwata il-la-Bil-Laah"
- Qur'an Quiz 2 with answers to Quiz 1
- Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Naseer!
- The only ayah that was revealed inside Ka'bah
- The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- 'Allahumma Maalikal Mulki Tu'til Mulka Man Tashaa'u....'
- Amr bil Maroof wa Nahi 'anil Munkar
NOTE: The above ↑ translations are in PDF files.
For Online Translations in:
Bangla, Czech, Farsi, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Maranao, Norwegian, Polish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Tatar, and Uzbek, Please VISIT quran.com/1
↑ Al Quran for MS-Word. This software will add a new menu “Al-Quran” as Add-Ins to MS Word.
BENEFIT: You can easily insert an ayah of the Qur'an or its translation to your word file, InshaaAllah
What Caring Readers Say..
- Muhammad Shariful Islam on The Muslim and the Hijrah of All Times
- MuQeet on In times of difficulty …..Do not grieve, for Allah is with us!
- Muhammad Usama Chaudhary on In times of difficulty …..Do not grieve, for Allah is with us!
- MuQeet on Did ‘U’ know These Names of the Prophetic Family?
- Adonis Rahman on Did ‘U’ know These Names of the Prophetic Family?
- MuQeet on Did ‘U’ know These Names of the Prophetic Family?
- The Trio in Rabi al Awwal « YasSarNal QuR'aN on Hijrah: The least discussed topic in Rabi al Awwal!
- Friday Sermon on Prophet Muhammad December 9, 2016
- The Trio in Rabi al Awwal November 30, 2016
- Answers to Prophetic Family Quiz November 28, 2016
- Did ‘U’ know These Names of the Prophetic Family? November 25, 2016
- Shariah is for Human Welfare November 21, 2016
- Facts About Safar November 1, 2016
- Peace First. Peace Last. October 17, 2016
TagsAllah Dua Fasting Five Pillars Five Pillars of Islam Friday Guidance Hadith Hajj Hijri calendar Ibadah Islam Islamic Calendar Islamic Months Islamiyat Jumuah Makkah Muslim calendar Muslims Muslim scripture Prayer Prophet Prophet Muhammad Quran Quran blog Ramadan Ramadhan Religion Salah Sawm Scripture Seerah Sunnah Supplication supplications Surah al Kahf UAE UAE News Worship Yassarnalquran Zikr
Reminder b e n e f i t s :)
Thank You :)
Site infoYasSarNal QuR'aN
Blog at WordPress.com.