“The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide”.
بسم الله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله
When things get worse, it only means that they are gonna be better.
Islamic history is witness to the fact that whenever Muslims touched their lowest ebb, there had always been a turning of the tide.
These are the days of distress for the global Muslim Ummah. The Muslims the world over, especially those in the Americas are passing through their trying and testing times.
Hope and Faith are important at this crucial juncture. If you lose hope, you lose faith. If you lose faith, you lose everything!
Let’s recall and remember that many a time in history, Allah subhanahu wa Ta’aala brought victory to the Muslim Ummah even when the odds were seemingly against them.
In this post, let me recall some colourful snapshots from the album of Islamic history so we cheer up and fill our hearts with hope, inshaaAllah.
1. Recall when Ibraheem alaihis salam was thrown in the fire by those who thought that they had power over all things, he made a supplication (du’aa) that caused the world sit up and watch in amazement: Fire getting cool! It could not burn even a hair of Prophet Ibraheem, Peace be upon him!
The spiritual fire in Ibraheem extinguished the intense physical fire lit up by the agents of tyranny! Let this be a warning note for the tyrants of all times!!
2. Recall when Musa alaihis salam took his people out of Egypt, he lost the way in the night only to encounter, at dawn, the Red Sea in front. The chasing army of Phiroun, the tyrant, was behind them. When they were sandwiched between the Red Sea and the tyrannical army, Musa’s followers blamed him and said, ‘Indeed, we are to be overtaken’. At that moment of distress, the great Prophet of Allah said, “No! Indeed, with me is my Lord; He will guide me.” Surah Ash-Shu’ara 26: 62
Without even flinching, Musa alaihis salam said Allah will get them through! Isn’t this inspiring? And Allah did got them through. Subhanallaah!
3. Recall the hijrah moment when Prophet Muhammad was moving out from his hometown as a refugee, he prophesied to his very chaser that a day will come when Kisra’s bracelets will be in latter’s hands! Subhanallaah!
You are leaving your city in a helpless state, and yet you have a penetratingly deep foresight! You became a refugee because of your faith and belief, and yet you have the prudence that your faith will win hearts and your Community will conquer foreign lands one day. Subhanallaah! What an unshakable conviction!
And the world and this chaser (who embraced Islam later) witnessed this prophesy of the gloomy days getting fulfilled during the brightest era of Umar ibn al Khattab (R.A)
4. Or recall that moment when they were hiding in the Cave of Thawr, Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, consoled his companion saying, “what do you think of two whose third is Allah?” And when Abu Bakr feared saying, ‘were the enemies – the chasers – just bend down and look at their feet, they would find them’, the Prophet, peace be upon him, gave an inspiring reply: Do not be sad, Allah is with us! Surah At-Tawbah 9:40
5. Or recall that horrifying situation of the Battle of the Trench when all Arabia joined hands to attack Madinah. The Prophet and his companions were busy digging the Trench, when Salman al Farisi came and complained that a troublesome rock is really disturbing him. The Prophet took his pick-axe and gave three blows and the rock was shattered to pieces. The actual surprise was, at each blow there came a lightening flash. When Salman curiously asked about the miracle, the Prophet, peace be upon him, said that those three flashes actually meant the future conquest of three great nations by Islam and its adherents! Subhanallah!
6. Recall that gloomy day of al Hudaybiyyah when Muslims were saddened at the unfair Treaty. In reality, Allah was preparing a Great Victory for the Muslim Ummah.
7. Recall how Umar ibn al Khattab went out of his house with a sword in his hand to kill Prophet Muhammad and how he reverted to Islam at the hands of the latter! The apparent was saying something but the end was different, right?
So when things go low for the Muslim Ummah and touch the ebb, remember a turn of the tide is imminent.
Always remember these reassuring verses of the glorious Qur’an:
“Indeed, with hardship there will be ease” Surah Ash-Sharh 94:6
“So do not weaken and do not grieve, and you will be superior if you are [true] believers.” Surah Aal Imran 3: 139
May Allah Protect us and shower upon us His choicest blessings.
Sal-lal-laahu ‘Ala Muhammad, Sal-lal-laahu ‘Alaihi wa Sallam