Qur’anic Style of Inculcating Effective Listening Skill
The general purpose of presenting human history in the Qur’an is to warn people not to repeat the mistakes of the perished nations.
Surah al Haqqaah begins with a vivid description of the destruction of the People of Saalih (Thamood), Huud (‘Aad), Musa (Phir’oun), Luut (Mu’tafikaat) and Nooh.
What comes after the historical narrative is a miracle in human language. A clarion call to heed to the message of the glorious Qur’an. A pointer towards effective listening!
Dear readers, please read the translation of verses 1 to 11 and then proceed to ayah 12 wherein Allah says:
لِنَجْعَلَهَا لَكُمْ تَذْكِرَةً وَتَعِيَهَا أُذُنٌ وَاعِيَةٌ
Let us first have a quick look at some of the understood translations of this remarkable ayah:
“That We might make it for you a reminder and [that] a conscious ear would be conscious of it.“ (Saheeh International)
“That We might make it a memorial for you, and that remembering ears (that heard the story) might remember.” (Pickthall)
That We might make it a remembrance for you, and the keen ear (person) may (hear and) understand it. (Hilali and Khan)
“so that We might make all this a [lasting] reminder to you all, and that every wide-awake ear might consciously take it in.“ (Muhammad Asad)
“so that We might make it an instructive event for you, and retentive ears might preserve its memory.“ (Maududi)
أُذُنٌ /uzun in Arabic is for “ear” and the addition of the adjective وَاعِيَةٌ makes a beautiful phrase of a unique style – أُذُنٌ وَاعِيَةٌ brings into focus an attention-seeking concept, the one that motivates us to take note of its imposingly impressive injunction.
You may have noted from the above five translations that the respective scholars have translated the phrase أُذُنٌ وَاعِيَةٌ as:
1. Conscious ear
2. Remembering ears
3. Keen ear
4. Wide-awake ear
5. Retentive ears
In a brilliantly clear manner, this ayah says that it is only those who possess ears of a different kind would be able to heed to its admonition.
أُذُنٌ وَاعِيَةٌ – attentive, conscious, heedful, alert, awake, careful and conscious ears.
The ayah, therefore, seeks to inculcate that a Qur’an Reader should focus on developing effective listening skills.
So the ayah tell us to focus on listening, not hearing!
Hearing is passive, involuntary, accidental, effortless, and a product of physical response.
Listening is active, voluntary, focused, intentional, and a product of mental response.
Listen to understand. Understand to heed.
This beautiful ayah tells us to sharpen our listening skill by reflecting, perceiving, paying attention, remembering, thinking, reasoning, rendering and taking heed.
We must keep our ears open and not repeat the mistake of the followers of Nooh alaihis salam who used to close up their ears so that they do not hear what Nooh was calling them to. Surah Nooh
The lesson we learn from this ayah is that we must strive to transform our ear into a vessel that is receptive, reflective and retaining.
Ears that have barakah benefit by what it hears from Allah’s Book!
May Allah bless us with an ear that gives value to what is being said so that we remain conscious of Qur’anic injunctions taking heed to the utmost of our capacity.
Sal-lal-laahu Ala Muhammad, Sal-lal-laahu-alaihi-wa-Sallam.
Share or Not. Choice is Yours. If you share, Allah will reward you. That makes a huge difference.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
January 5, 2016 - Posted by MuQeet | Art of Communication, Reflections | Aad, Difference between hearing and listening, Ear is for hearing, Firoun, Hadith, Hearing, heart is for listening, Hud, Islam, Listening skill, Lut, mind is for listening, Muslim lifestyle, Noah, Pharaoh, Prophet Nooh, Quran, Quran blog, Salih, Sodom, sodomites, Surah al Haaqqah, Thamood, Yassarnalquran
6 Comments »
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- Please SCROLL DOWN to find amazing resources, InshaaAllah.
- The Guide ↑ that inspires one to GET CLOSER to the Qur'an. Subhanallaah!
- About CHM file: After download, save, right click, go to Properties, and click Unblock. This has to be done only for the first use.
- Saheeh International's Translation is the most accurate of all English translations of the Qur'an that are available till date.
Knock, and it will Open!To know what this du'aa is about, keep the cursor on this image.
Thank You Akismet :)
W e l c o m e :)
ما شآء الله and الحمد لله for this blog.
هذا من فضل ربّ This is From the Blessings of my Lord.
اللهم بارك لنا فيما أعطيت O Allah! Bless Us in what You've given us.
All Posts, category-wise ↓
All posts, month-wise ↓
TOP POSTS alhamdulillah
- "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel"
- Saying "Laa Haula Wa Laa Quwwata il-la-Bil-Laah"
- Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Naseer!
- Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- Qur'an Quiz 3 with Answers to Quiz 2
- Qur'an Quiz 2 with answers to Quiz 1
- 'Allahumma Maalikal Mulki Tu'til Mulka Man Tashaa'u....'
- Amr bil Maroof wa Nahi 'anil Munkar
NOTE: The above ↑ translations are in PDF files.
For Online Translations in:
Bangla, Czech, Farsi, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Maranao, Norwegian, Polish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Tatar, and Uzbek, Please VISIT quran.com/1
↑ Al Quran for MS-Word. This software will add a new menu “Al-Quran” as Add-Ins to MS Word.
BENEFIT: You can easily insert an ayah of the Qur'an or its translation to your word file, InshaaAllah
What Caring Readers Say..
- MuQeet on In times of difficulty …..Do not grieve, for Allah is with us!
- Muhammad Usama Chaudhary on In times of difficulty …..Do not grieve, for Allah is with us!
- MuQeet on Did ‘U’ know These Names of the Prophetic Family?
- Adonis Rahman on Did ‘U’ know These Names of the Prophetic Family?
- MuQeet on Did ‘U’ know These Names of the Prophetic Family?
- The Trio in Rabi al Awwal « YasSarNal QuR'aN on Hijrah: The least discussed topic in Rabi al Awwal!
- MuQeet on Answers to Prophetic Family Quiz
- The Trio in Rabi al Awwal November 30, 2016
- Answers to Prophetic Family Quiz November 28, 2016
- Did ‘U’ know These Names of the Prophetic Family? November 25, 2016
- Shariah is for Human Welfare November 21, 2016
- Facts About Safar November 1, 2016
- Peace First. Peace Last. October 17, 2016
- The Muslim and the Hijrah of All Times October 14, 2016
TagsAllah Dua Fasting Five Pillars Five Pillars of Islam Friday Guidance Hadith Hajj Hijri calendar Ibadah Islam Islamic Calendar Islamic Months Islamiyat Jumuah Makkah Muslim calendar Muslims Muslim scripture Prayer Prophet Prophet Muhammad Quran Quran blog Ramadan Ramadhan Religion Salah Sawm Scripture Seerah Sunnah Supplication supplications Surah al Kahf UAE UAE News Worship Yassarnalquran Zikr
Reminder b e n e f i t s :)
Thank You :)
Site infoYasSarNal QuR'aN
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.