Stem the tide of consumerism in Ramadhaan!
The paradox of contemporary Muslim society is that we do exactly opposite of what we are told not to do. May Allah forgive us!
To mention two cases in relation to Ramadhaan.
1. Allah issues a command: “Kulu washrabu wa laa tusrifu”. “Eat and drink, but be not excessive”. (Surah al A’raaf 7: 31)
In stark contrast to this noble teaching, our ‘we’ll think-only-with-our-stomach’ attitude has reduced Ramadhaan to a mere dining table! It is a month of feasting, not fasting!
2. Allah issues another command: “…and do not spend wastefully. Indeed, the wasteful are brothers of the devils, and ever has Satan been to his Lord ungrateful.” (Surah al Isra 17: 26, 27)
Spending in Ramadhaan has become a sort of ‘status symbol’! Be it at shopping malls or at iftaar time, extravagant and lavish spending has become the order of the day.
It is as if Ramadhaan comes not to turn to Allah, but turn to exquisite settings and culinary delights! Not to enrich one’s soul, but to fill one’s tummy, the worst vessel man can ever fill!
Rampant consumerism is eating into Ramadhaan’s message of self-discipline, soul-training, spiritual nourishment, simplicity, and sacrifice.
The fashion slogan ‘Ramadan Kareem’ is being used, misused and abused almost everywhere!!
Customers are wooed and a sort of ‘need’ is created in them! Advertisements are feeding the greed in man!
A cursory glance at some news headlines* will confuse us for a moment whether Ramadhaan is the name of a month or a Bazaar?!!
“5 Iftars to try today”. “What’s Ramadan without Haleem?” “Three of the best Ramadan offers with special prizes”! “Ramadan fever grips Chennai restaurants”. “Enjoy a delicious Iftar Buffet with a sumptuous spread of International flavors from around the world at __ for AED __ includes use of Sauna, Steam, and Gym & Swimming pool”. “Make a wish come true this Ramadan”. Ramadan sales spark chaos at supermarket in Riyadh.
And what message we are giving out to our non-Muslim friends? Won’t they compare Ramadhaan to Christmas? Is not Ramadhaan’s consumerism akin to Christmas sales atmosphere, as both bring gifts to children on Eid Al Fitr and Christmas Day?
We need to stem the rot. Consumerism is taking us away from the very purpose of fasting. It has almost hijacked us to nowhere!!
Ramadhaan’s most precious moments are simply wasted like anything.
Back to the two Commands as mentioned before:
“Eat and drink, but be not excessive”.
“Do not spend wastefully. Indeed, the wasteful are brothers of the devils”.
Let us be reminded that Allah loves not those who commit excess!
How good it would be to die in the state of fasting, and die while in Sajdah….Inshaaallah.
رَبَّنَا وَتَقَبَّلْ دُعَاءِ O Allah! Accept our supplications.
And what if we die in the maze of mindless shopping in Ramadhaan? May Allah save us from bad end. Aameen.
May Allah give us the much needed Tawfeeq and guide us onto the Right Path. Aameen.
* I removed hyperlinks of the news headlines given above to avoid distractions.
PS: For amazing resources on the Last Ten Days of Ramadhaan visit Golden Moments Are Here!
Share or Not. Choice is Yours. If you share, Allah will reward you. That makes a huge difference.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
July 6, 2015 - Posted by MuQeet | Islamic Months: RAMADHAN, Reflections | Allah, Allah loves not those who waste, Brothers of Shaytan, Christmas and Ramadan, Eid al Fitr, Fasting in Ramadhaan, Feasting or fasting, Islam, Israaf, Prophet Muhammad, Quran, Ramadan Bazaar, Ramadan is for fasting not feasting, Ramadan Kareem, Ramadan sales in UAE, Ramadan Shopping, Sawm, Shop until you drop, Siyam, The month of forgiveness, The month of Quran, Wasteful Expenditure, Yassarnalquran
No comments yet.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- Please SCROLL DOWN to find amazing resources, InshaaAllah.
- The Guide ↑ that inspires one to GET CLOSER to the Qur'an. Subhanallaah!
- About CHM file: After download, save, right click, go to Properties, and click Unblock. This has to be done only for the first use.
- Saheeh International's Translation is the most accurate of all English translations of the Qur'an that are available till date.
Knock, and it will Open!To know what this du'aa is about, keep the cursor on this image.
Thank You Akismet :)
W e l c o m e :)
ما شآء الله and الحمد لله for this blog.
هذا من فضل ربّ This is From the Blessings of my Lord.
اللهم بارك لنا فيما أعطيت O Allah! Bless Us in what You've given us.
All Posts, category-wise ↓
All posts, month-wise ↓
TOP POSTS alhamdulillah
- "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel"
- Saying "Laa Haula Wa Laa Quwwata il-la-Bil-Laah"
- The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Naseer!
- Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- Amr bil Maroof wa Nahi 'anil Munkar
- 'Allahumma Maalikal Mulki Tu'til Mulka Man Tashaa'u....'
- YasSarNal QuR'aN: We have made the Qur'an easy!
- Explanation of the Hadeeth of the Man who killed 99 men!
NOTE: The above ↑ translations are in PDF files.
For Online Translations in:
Bangla, Czech, Farsi, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Maranao, Norwegian, Polish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Tatar, and Uzbek, Please VISIT quran.com/1
↑ Al Quran for MS-Word. This software will add a new menu “Al-Quran” as Add-Ins to MS Word.
BENEFIT: You can easily insert an ayah of the Qur'an or its translation to your word file, InshaaAllah
What Caring Readers Say..
- Aisha on Education and Three Types of Nafs
- MuQeet on Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- Cassim on Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- sami on “Hasbunallahu Wa Ni’mal Wakeel”
- MuQeet on “The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide”.
- It is sinful to celebrate Valentine’s Day « YasSarNalQuR'aN on “If you have no shame, do whatever you like”!
- MuQeet on Sahih al Bukhari Full Set :)
- Explanation of the Hadeeth of the Man who killed 99 men! February 17, 2017
- It is sinful to celebrate Valentine’s Day February 12, 2017
- “The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide”. February 10, 2017
- An Introduction to Tajweed January 12, 2017
- Types of Salah and their Validity December 30, 2016
- Insights into Aayatul Kursi December 24, 2016
- Friday Sermon on Prophet Muhammad December 9, 2016
TagsAllah Dua Fasting Five Pillars Five Pillars of Islam Friday Guidance Hadith Hajj Hijri calendar Ibadah Islam Islamic Calendar Islamic Months Islamiyat Jumuah Makkah Muslim calendar Muslims Muslim scripture Prayer Prophet Prophet Muhammad Quran Quran blog Ramadan Ramadhan Religion Salah Sawm Scripture Seerah Sunnah Supplication supplications Surah al Kahf UAE UAE News Worship Yassarnalquran Zikr
Reminder b e n e f i t s :)
Thank You :)
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.