Fast of Aashura, and when?
The 10th of Muharram is popularly known as Aashura.
Fasting on this day is highly encouraged.
There seems to surround some confusion with regard to the dates.
As per the Saudi announcement, Aashura falls on Thursday, the 14th November. As per the dates given in UAE Awqaf Ministry’s website, 10th Muharam falls on Wednesday, 13th Nov.
While it is true that we must always go by the local announcement about the sighting of the moon and the commencement of the month, in this case I feel it is better to fast on both days, i.e. 13th and 14th November, Inshaa’Allah.
Some of the merits of the fast of Aashura are mentioned below:
* Fasting on the 10th Muharram, i.e. Aashura, was obligatory on the Muslims before the fasts of Ramadan were made obligatory.
* Fasting on the 10th of Muharram expiates the sins of the previous year.
* Prophet Musa عليه السلام and the Bani Israel were saved from the Pharaoh by the parting of the sea on 10th Muharram.
* Prophet Musa عليه السلام as a sign of gratitude to Allah used to fast on the day of Aashura and Jews did the same.
* Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم on hearing the fast of Musa عليه السلام also ordered the Muslims to fast on this day and himself did the same.
* Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم decided to fast on 9th Muharram as well to differentiate from the Jews but he passed away before he could do so.
However fasting on 11th Muharram along with 10th is also permissible.
Sal-lal-laahu ‘Ala Muhammad, Sal-lal-laahu ‘Alaihi wa Sallam.
Why Not Share & Spread Qur'an's Barakah? May Allah Bless You.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
November 12, 2013 - Posted by MuQeet | Muqeet's (assorted) | 10th Muharram, Allah, Ashura, Bani Israeel, Fasting, Islam, Islamic Calendar, Jews, Moses, Muharram, Pharaoh, Phir'oun, Prophet Musa, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Voluntary fast
6 Comments »
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- You'll find immense Qur'anic and Hadith resources under different headings as you can see below. Please have patience to scroll down, Inshaaallah.
- Saheeh International's Translation is the most accurate of all English translations of the Qur'an that are available till date.
Knock, and it will Open!To know what this du'aa is about, keep the cursor on this image.
Thank You Akismet :)
ما شآء الله
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
A hearty W e l c o m e :)
May Peace, Mercy & Blessings of Allah be upon YOU.
Keep visiting, Stay Blessed, Inshaaallah.
Postings الحمد لله
They Call it TOP POSTS!
- "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel"
- Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- Saying "Laa Haula Wa Laa Quwwata il-la-Bil-Laah"
- Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Naseer!
- 'Allahumma Maalikal Mulki Tu'til Mulka Man Tashaa'u....'
- Nouman Ali Khan's Tafseer Collection
- The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- Download At-Tirmidhi FULL SET :)
- Haza Min Fadhli Rabbee
A word about “chm files”There are many links given here and there to download files. If it is a chm file, after download, please save, right click, go to Properties, and click Unblock. This has to be done only for the first use.
What Caring Readers Say..
Al Qur’an Add-Ins
Al Quran for MS-Word. This software will add a new menu “Al-Quran” as Add-Ins to MS Word. You can easily insert an ayah of the Qur'an or its translation to your word file, InshaaAllah. See below ↓
Reminder b e n e f i t s :)
- The ocean called Surah al Kahf November 20, 2015
- 3 Major Mistakes in 12 English Translations of the Qur’an November 15, 2015
- Pictorial Presentation: MUHAMMAD POCKET GUIDE November 10, 2015
- Memorizing the Qur’an: Interview with Grade 9 student October 29, 2015
- When Earthquake Strikes….. October 26, 2015
- Saturday is Aashoora Day October 22, 2015
- Saluting the Ashab As-Suffah: ‘Uqbah ibn Aamir al-Juhani October 20, 2015
TagsAllah Arafah Dua Fasting Five Pillars Friday Friday sermon Guidance Hadith Hajj Hijri calendar Ibadah Islam Islamic Calendar Islamic Months Jummah Jumuah Makkah Muslims Muslim scripture Prayer Prophet Prophet Muhammad Quran Quran blog Ramadan Ramadhan Religion Salah Sawm Scripture Seerah Sunnah Supplication supplications Surah al Kahf UAE UAE News Worship Yassarnalquran Zikr
Search in this Blog
Thank You :)