Shun Ribaa, Fear Allah, Have success!
Dear brothers/sisters, Assalamu Alaikum. Due to work stress and domestic compulsion, I am unable to post frequently on the series Yaaa Ayyuhal Lazeena Aamanu. Sorry about that. This is the 15th post of this series. Read on, Inshaa’Allah…..
Those who consume usury, among the Believers in Islam, cannot achieve success.
And how can they achieve success when they go against the commands of their Lord Almighty?
In this ayah of Surah Aali Imran, we Muslims are enjoined to adopt Allah-consciousness in our economic life so that we are saved from eternal damnation and perpetual misery.
“O you who have believed, do not consume usury, doubled and multiplied, but fear Allah that you may be successful.” (Surah Aali Imran 3: 130)
* Please note that this ayah was revealed long before this ayah that prohibits ribaa completely!
There is a special event behind the revelation of this verse. In pre-Islamic Arabia, the general pattern of ribaa transactions was that loans were given on ribaa for a set period of time; when that period expired and the borrower was unable to pay it back, he was given an extension of time on the condition that the amount of ribaa was to be increased. Similarly, if payment was not made even on the expiry of the second deadline, the amount of ribaa was further increased. This fact is mentioned in general books of tafseer, especially in Lubab al-Nuqul, on the authority of Mujahid.
This verse was revealed to eradicate this inhuman custom of pre-Islamic Arabia. Therefore, by saying أَضْعَافًا مُّضَاعَفَةً (multiplied many times) in the verse, their prevailing practice was condemned and they were warned on their selfishness and anti-community conduct, and naturally so, it was declared prohibited.
This does not mean that ribaa will not be prohibited if it happens not to be multiplied many times, because the absolute prohibition of ribaa has been very clearly stated in Surah al Baqarah and Surah an-Nisaa irrespective of its being doubled or multiplied many times. This is like it has been said at several places in the Holy Qur’an, “Do not take a paltry price in exchange of My verses”. The expression ‘paltry price’ was used here to indicate that even if the kingdom of the whole world was taken in exchange for the Divinely revealed verses, the price will still be ‘paltry.’ It does not mean that taking a paltry price against the verses of the Qur’an is haram, but taking a higher price would be permissible. Similarly, the expression “multiplied many times” has been introduced only to focus attention on their shameful method and it is not a necessary condition for the prohibition.
Moreover, if we think about the prevalent methods of ribaa, we will reach the conclusion that once the habit of taking ribaa is settled, the ribaa does not remain simple ribaa anymore; it necessarily becomes doubled and multiplied because the amount accrued from ribaa becomes a part of the total amount owned by the creditor and, when he further circulates this additional amount of ribaa on interest or usury, the ribaa becomes multiplied. Should this chain action go on building up, nothing can stop it from becoming “multiplied many times”. This way every ribaa will end up increasing several times.
May Allah save all Muslims from the dangers of ribaa. Aameen. May He guide us unto the Straight Path. Aameen.
Jazakallaahu Khayra for reading this post.
Note: Explanation taken from Ma’aariful Qur’an.
Read this related post, Inshaa’Allah: Ribaa is Evil and Strictly Prohibited in Islam
Share or Not. Choice is Yours. If you share, Allah will reward you. That makes a huge difference.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
June 18, 2013 - Posted by MuQeet | O You Who Believe!, Reflections | Allah, Bank Interest, Economy, Ethics, Fiscal, Interest, Islam, Islam and Business, Legislation in Islam, Money Transactions, Muslims, Prophet Muhammad, Quran, Quran blog, Shariah, trade and commerce, Usury, Yassarnalquran
No comments yet.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- Please SCROLL DOWN to find amazing resources, InshaaAllah.
- The Guide ↑ that inspires one to GET CLOSER to the Qur'an. Subhanallaah!
- About CHM file: After download, save, right click, go to Properties, and click Unblock. This has to be done only for the first use.
- Saheeh International's Translation is the most accurate of all English translations of the Qur'an that are available till date.
Knock, and it will Open!To know what this du'aa is about, keep the cursor on this image.
Thank You Akismet :)
W e l c o m e :)
ما شآء الله and الحمد لله for this blog.
هذا من فضل ربّ This is From the Blessings of my Lord.
اللهم بارك لنا فيما أعطيت O Allah! Bless Us in what You've given us.
All Posts, category-wise ↓
All posts, month-wise ↓
TOP POSTS alhamdulillah
- "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel"
- Saying "Laa Haula Wa Laa Quwwata il-la-Bil-Laah"
- The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Naseer!
- Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- Amr bil Maroof wa Nahi 'anil Munkar
- 'Allahumma Maalikal Mulki Tu'til Mulka Man Tashaa'u....'
- YasSarNal QuR'aN: We have made the Qur'an easy!
- Explanation of the Hadeeth of the Man who killed 99 men!
NOTE: The above ↑ translations are in PDF files.
For Online Translations in:
Bangla, Czech, Farsi, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Maranao, Norwegian, Polish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Tatar, and Uzbek, Please VISIT quran.com/1
↑ Al Quran for MS-Word. This software will add a new menu “Al-Quran” as Add-Ins to MS Word.
BENEFIT: You can easily insert an ayah of the Qur'an or its translation to your word file, InshaaAllah
What Caring Readers Say..
- Aisha on Education and Three Types of Nafs
- MuQeet on Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- Cassim on Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- sami on “Hasbunallahu Wa Ni’mal Wakeel”
- MuQeet on “The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide”.
- It is sinful to celebrate Valentine’s Day « YasSarNalQuR'aN on “If you have no shame, do whatever you like”!
- MuQeet on Sahih al Bukhari Full Set :)
- Explanation of the Hadeeth of the Man who killed 99 men! February 17, 2017
- It is sinful to celebrate Valentine’s Day February 12, 2017
- “The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide”. February 10, 2017
- An Introduction to Tajweed January 12, 2017
- Types of Salah and their Validity December 30, 2016
- Insights into Aayatul Kursi December 24, 2016
- Friday Sermon on Prophet Muhammad December 9, 2016
TagsAllah Dua Fasting Five Pillars Five Pillars of Islam Friday Guidance Hadith Hajj Hijri calendar Ibadah Islam Islamic Calendar Islamic Months Islamiyat Jumuah Makkah Muslim calendar Muslims Muslim scripture Prayer Prophet Prophet Muhammad Quran Quran blog Ramadan Ramadhan Religion Salah Sawm Scripture Seerah Sunnah Supplication supplications Surah al Kahf UAE UAE News Worship Yassarnalquran Zikr
Reminder b e n e f i t s :)
Thank You :)
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.