As Ramadhaan is round the corner, I thought of reminding myself and all fellow Muslim sisters and brothers some great things connected with the Qur’an.
Anything connected with the Qur’an becomes great indeed.
A piece of paper is never seen just as a piece of paper should you write a few Qur’anic verses on it.
1. Ramadhaan was just an ordinary month prior to the revelation of the Qur’an. When the Qur’an began to be revealed in Ramadhaan, the month got a unique status. The month now is so dear to every Muslim.
2. We Muslims observe fast in Ramadhaan because the Qur’an was revealed in this month.
3. Allah started sending down the Qur’an in the Night and the Night became so blessed. The significance of this Night, which is called as Laylatul Mubaarakah and Laylatul Qadr, increased by leaps and bounds: One Night is better and more worthier than a 1000 months!
4. The Qur’an was revealed in Makkah and the city got the distinguished stature of being Ummul Qura, Mother of all cities, and Balad al Ameen, the Secure City.
5. The Qur’an was revealed in the Cave of Hira, and the Cave got famous in the annals of history. Even though there is no religious value attached to the Cave but then it being an important monument, from where the Enlightenment spread, cannot be brushed aside.
6. The Qur’an elevated the status of Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم Prior to revelation, he was just an ‘abd’ and now he got the distinguished honour of being an abd and a Rasool: abduhu wa Rasooluhu, His Slave and His Messenger.
7. With the sending down of the Qur’an, Allah, Whose Kalaam the Qur’an is, decided to put an end to the chain of Messengers and Prophets. So with the revealtion of the Qur’an, Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم got another feather in his cap! He is the last and final Messenger of Allah to humanity: Khatim-un-Nabiyyeen, the Seal of the Prophets.
8. With the Migration – Hijrah – of the Sahib-ul-Qur’an, Yathrib got a new name: Madinah al Munawwarah, the City of Radiance.
9. Qur’an was brought by Angel Jibreel, and Jibreel got unique eminence, honour and merit among all the other Angels of Allah.
10. The first generation of learners of the Qur’an, the ashaab-un-Nabi, the Companions of the Prophet, enjoy an enviable position and status among all the followers of Prophet Muhammad Sal-lal-laahu-alaihi-wa-sallam.
11. Those who memorize the Qur’an, the Huffaaz al Kiraam, enjoy merit, honour, respect and preference. Because of learning the Words of Allah by heart and living by the Qur’an, they will have an edge over other Muslims in the Day of Judgement.
12. Those who take care of the Qur’an by reading and abiding by its teachings will be taken care of by the Qur’an itself in the Day of Judgement.
13. Among the companions of the Prophet sal-lal-laahu-alaihi-wa-sallam there were many who had memorized the Qur’an but one name that stands out uniquely in the annals of history is the name of Zayd ibn Thabit (radhiyallaahu anhu) for he got this distinction due to the compilation of the Qur’an.
14. Similarly among the Khulafa-ar-Rashideen, Uthman bin Affaan (radhiyallaahu anhu) stands unique because of the steps he took to make more copies from the master copy compiled by Zayd ibn Thabit, radhiyallaahu anhu. The term Rasm al Uthmaani has become universal and will be used until the end of the world!
15. The distinction we Muslims enjoy over other nations is also due to the Qur’an. Allah has honoured us as Khair al Ummah and Ummatan Wasathan due to the responsibility of conveying the message of the Qur’an.
16. Every human being’s ultimate success or failure solely depends upon his or her attitude towards the Qur’an.
17. The rise and fall of nations also depend upon the treatment people give to the Qur’an.
18. Those who are engaged in the teaching and learning of the Qur’an are considered as the best.
As Ramadhaan, the Month of Qur’an, draws closer, are we Muslims ready to ask ourselves:
Where do we stand from the Qur’an?
Allama Iqbal makes a point though:
Woh Zamane Mein Mu’azzaz The Musalman Ho Kar
Aur Tum Khawar Huwe Taarik-e-Quran Ho Kar
The honoured of their times, they lived, For theirs was true imaan,
You live disgraced, as having left the paths of Al‐Quran!
May Allah make us reach Ramadhaan. May He guide us onto the Straight Path. Aameen.