Muharram: Do’s and Don’ts
Dear sisters and brothers, Assalamu Alaikum. Bismillah..
Owing to its relevance and importance, the following is presented here:
* Muharram is one of the four sacred Months out of twelve. The other three months being Dhul-Qa’dah, Dhul-Hijjah and Rajab. These four months have been sacred since the creation of universe – as told by Allah in the Qur’an in Surah Taubah.
* Muharram is a sacred month NOT because the grandson of Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم was martyred in this month. It is sacred because Allah made it sacred along with three other months and told us about it in the Quran.
Facts about Aashurah – The 10th of Muharram:
* Fasting on the 10th Muharram, i.e. Aashura, was obligatory on the Muslims before the fasts of Ramadan were made obligatory.
* Fasting on the 10th of Muharram expiates the sins of the previous year.
* Prophet Musa عليه السلام and the Bani Israel were saved from the Pharaoh by the parting of the sea on 10th Muharram.
* Prophet Musa عليه السلام as a sign of gratitude to Allah used to fast on the day of Aashura and Jews did the same.
* Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم on hearing the fast of Musa عليه السلام also ordered the Muslims to fast on this day and himself did the same.
* Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم decided to fast on 9th Muharram as well to differentiate from the Jews but he passed away before he could do so.
Misconceptions about Aashura:
* This is the day Prophet Adam عليه السلام was created
* This is the day when Allah accepted the repentance of Adam
* This is the day when Ibrahim عليه السلام was born.
* This is the day the Qiyamah (doomsday) will occur.
* Whoever takes bath on the day of Aashura will never get ill.
* Muharram is an evil or unlucky month (due to the battle of Karbala)
* Marriages should not be held in Muharram.
All of the above are misconceptions based on unauthentic traditions. This misconception can be easily removed by the fact that on the exact same day Hussain رضي الله عنه was martyred, hundreds of years ago Prophet Musa عليه السلام and his followers were saved from Pharaoh. The day can not be lucky and unlucky at the same time.
Historical Facts about Muharram:
* Caliph Umar al Farooq رضي الله عنه succumbed to his injuries and attained Martyrdom on the 1st of Muharram, 23 AH (After Hijri)
* Grandson of Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم Hussain ibn Ali رضي الله عنه along with most of his family members was martyred in the desert of Karbala in Iraq on the 10th of Muharram.
Authentic Ibadah (Worship) of Muharram:
* Fasting in Muharram (any day)
* Fasting on 10th Muharram and combining it with the fast of 9th Muharram to distinguish from the Jews.
Innovations and things to avoid in Muharram:
* Preparing special dishes in Muharram.
* Holding lamentation and mourning ceremonies in the memory of martyrdom of Sayyidina Husain رضي الله عنه
* Cursing the companions.
All these are deviant practices which go against the basic teachings of Qur’an and Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم He said “He is not from our group who slaps his checks, tears his clothes and cries in the manner of the people of jahiliyyah.” (Sahih Bukhari)
Sayyidina Hussain رضي الله عنه before his demise advised his beloved sister Sayyidah Zainab رضي الله عنها not to mourn over his death in this manner. He said, “My dear sister! I swear upon you that in case I die you shall not tear your clothes, nor scratch your face, nor curse anyone for me or pray for your death.” (Al-Kamil, ibn Kathir vol. 4 pg. 24)
It is evident from this advice of Sayyidina Hussain رضي الله عنه that this type of mourning is condemned even by the blessed person for the memory of whom these mourning ceremonies are held. Every Muslim should avoid this practice and abide by the teachings of the Holy Prophet, صلّى الله عليه وسلّم and his beloved grand child Sayyidina Hussain, رضي الله عنه
To read another good article on Muharram click here
Share or Not. Choice is Yours. If you share, Allah will reward you. That makes a huge difference.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
November 25, 2011 - Posted by MuQeet | Islamic Months | Ashura, Fasting on Ashura, Hijri calendar, Imam Hussain, Islamic Calendar, Islamic Months, Karbala, Muharram, Muharram and Prophet Muhammad, Muslim calendar
16 Comments »
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
If new to this blog, click on the image ↑ and scroll ↓ to find immense Qur'anic and Hadeeth resources. U need to come back again & again :) to be blessed with the barakah of these resources, InshaaAllah.
اللهم اجعل القرآن ربيع قلوبنا
O Allah! Make the Qur'an the Spring of our Hearts.
- A Word about CHM files: After download, save, right click, go to Properties, and click Unblock. This has to be done only for the first use.
- Saheeh International's Translation is the most accurate of all English translations of the Qur'an that are available till date.
Knock, and it will Open!To know what this du'aa is about, keep the cursor on this image.
Thank You Akismet :)
ما شآء الله / الحمد لله
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
Hearty W e l c o m e :)
May Peace, Mercy & Blessings of Allah be upon YOU.
اللهم بارك لنا فيما أعطيت O Allah! Bless Us in what You've given us.
هذا من فضل ربّ This is From the Blessings of My Lord.
All Posts, category-wise ↓
All posts, month-wise ↓
TOP POSTS alhamdulillah
- "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel"
- Saying "Laa Haula Wa Laa Quwwata il-la-Bil-Laah"
- Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Naseer!
- Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- 'Allahumma Maalikal Mulki Tu'til Mulka Man Tashaa'u....'
- The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- Word by Word Qur'an Reciter and Memorization Tool
- 3 Graciously Beautiful Gifts of Me'raaj
- 6 Sets of Hadeeth Books in One Page :)
NOTE: The above ↑ translations are in PDF files.
For Online Translations in:
Bangla, Czech, Farsi, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Maranao, Norwegian, Polish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Tatar, and Uzbek, Please VISIT quran.com/1
↑ Al Quran for MS-Word. This software will add a new menu “Al-Quran” as Add-Ins to MS Word.
BENEFIT: You can easily insert an ayah of the Qur'an or its translation to your word file, InshaaAllah
What Caring Readers Say..
- Facts About Israa and Me’raaj | Saluting Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم on Ruling on celebrating the Night of Israa and Mi`raaj
- Facts about Israa wal Me’raaj | |-| Islamic Studies |-| on Ruling on celebrating the Night of Israa and Mi`raaj
- MuQeet on 3 Graciously Beautiful Gifts of Me’raaj
- MuQeet on Library Update
- banglabayyinah on Library Update
- سلام یا محمد ﷺ on 3 Graciously Beautiful Gifts of Me’raaj
- Our Salah is Full and Full Meaningful! | deenoverduniyaa on Our Salah is Full and Full Meaningful!
- 3 Graciously Beautiful Gifts of Me’raaj « YasSarNal QuR'aN on Call to Success and Our Response
- 3 Graciously Beautiful Gifts of Me’raaj « YasSarNal QuR'aN on Dignity Vs Disgrace
- 3 Graciously Beautiful Gifts of Me’raaj « YasSarNal QuR'aN on The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- 3 Graciously Beautiful Gifts of Me’raaj « YasSarNal QuR'aN on Israa wal Me’raaj
- 3 Graciously Beautiful Gifts of Me’raaj April 30, 2016
- An Open Letter To my dear Jumu’ah Muslim April 22, 2016
- Qur’an Quiz on Prophets and Messengers April 17, 2016
- Allaah – A Name That Heals April 13, 2016
- The Truth About Hateem April 11, 2016
- The Month of Rajab April 7, 2016
- O Mankind…! April 4, 2016
Search in this Blog
TagsAllah Arafah Dua Fasting Five Pillars Friday Friday sermon Guidance Hadith Hajj Hijri calendar Ibadah Islam Islamic Calendar Islamic Months Jummah Jumuah Makkah Muslims Muslim scripture Prayer Prophet Prophet Muhammad Quran Quran blog Ramadan Ramadhan Religion Salah Sawm Scripture Seerah Sunnah Supplication supplications Surah al Kahf UAE UAE News Worship Yassarnalquran Zikr
Reminder b e n e f i t s :)
Thank You :)