Muharram: Do’s and Don’ts
Dear sisters and brothers, Assalamu Alaikum. Bismillah..
Owing to its relevance and importance, the following is presented here:
* Muharram is one of the four sacred Months out of twelve. The other three months being Dhul-Qa’dah, Dhul-Hijjah and Rajab. These four months have been sacred since the creation of universe – as told by Allah in the Qur’an in Surah Taubah.
* Muharram is a sacred month NOT because the grandson of Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم was martyred in this month. It is sacred because Allah made it sacred along with three other months and told us about it in the Quran.
Facts about Aashurah – The 10th of Muharram:
* Fasting on the 10th Muharram, i.e. Aashura, was obligatory on the Muslims before the fasts of Ramadan were made obligatory.
* Fasting on the 10th of Muharram expiates the sins of the previous year.
* Prophet Musa عليه السلام and the Bani Israel were saved from the Pharaoh by the parting of the sea on 10th Muharram.
* Prophet Musa عليه السلام as a sign of gratitude to Allah used to fast on the day of Aashura and Jews did the same.
* Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم on hearing the fast of Musa عليه السلام also ordered the Muslims to fast on this day and himself did the same.
* Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم decided to fast on 9th Muharram as well to differentiate from the Jews but he passed away before he could do so.
Misconceptions about Aashura:
* This is the day Prophet Adam عليه السلام was created
* This is the day when Allah accepted the repentance of Adam
* This is the day when Ibrahim عليه السلام was born.
* This is the day the Qiyamah (doomsday) will occur.
* Whoever takes bath on the day of Aashura will never get ill.
* Muharram is an evil or unlucky month (due to the battle of Karbala)
* Marriages should not be held in Muharram.
All of the above are misconceptions based on unauthentic traditions. This misconception can be easily removed by the fact that on the exact same day Hussain رضي الله عنه was martyred, hundreds of years ago Prophet Musa عليه السلام and his followers were saved from Pharaoh. The day can not be lucky and unlucky at the same time.
Historical Facts about Muharram:
* Caliph Umar al Farooq رضي الله عنه succumbed to his injuries and attained Martyrdom on the 1st of Muharram, 23 AH (After Hijri)
* Grandson of Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم Hussain ibn Ali رضي الله عنه along with most of his family members was martyred in the desert of Karbala in Iraq on the 10th of Muharram.
Authentic Ibadah (Worship) of Muharram:
* Fasting in Muharram (any day)
* Fasting on 10th Muharram and combining it with the fast of 9th Muharram to distinguish from the Jews.
Innovations and things to avoid in Muharram:
* Preparing special dishes in Muharram.
* Holding lamentation and mourning ceremonies in the memory of martyrdom of Sayyidina Husain رضي الله عنه
* Cursing the companions.
All these are deviant practices which go against the basic teachings of Qur’an and Prophet Muhammad صلّى الله عليه وسلّم He said “He is not from our group who slaps his checks, tears his clothes and cries in the manner of the people of jahiliyyah.” (Sahih Bukhari)
Sayyidina Hussain رضي الله عنه before his demise advised his beloved sister Sayyidah Zainab رضي الله عنها not to mourn over his death in this manner. He said, “My dear sister! I swear upon you that in case I die you shall not tear your clothes, nor scratch your face, nor curse anyone for me or pray for your death.” (Al-Kamil, ibn Kathir vol. 4 pg. 24)
It is evident from this advice of Sayyidina Hussain رضي الله عنه that this type of mourning is condemned even by the blessed person for the memory of whom these mourning ceremonies are held. Every Muslim should avoid this practice and abide by the teachings of the Holy Prophet, صلّى الله عليه وسلّم and his beloved grand child Sayyidina Hussain, رضي الله عنه
To read another good article on Muharram click here
Share or Not. Choice is Yours. If you share, Allah will reward you. That makes a huge difference.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
November 25, 2011 - Posted by MuQeet | Islamic Months | Ashura, Fasting on Ashura, Hijri calendar, Imam Hussain, Islamic Calendar, Islamic Months, Karbala, Muharram, Muharram and Prophet Muhammad, Muslim calendar
17 Comments »
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- A Word about CHM files: After download, save, right click, go to Properties, and click Unblock. This has to be done only for the first use.
- Saheeh International's Translation is the most accurate of all English translations of the Qur'an that are available till date.
Knock, and it will Open!To know what this du'aa is about, keep the cursor on this image.
Thank You Akismet :)
W e l c o m e :)
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
Say ما شآء الله and الحمد لله
هذا من فضل ربّ This Blog is From the Blessings of my Lord.
اللهم بارك لنا فيما أعطيت O Allah! Bless Us in what You've given us.
All Posts, category-wise ↓
All posts, month-wise ↓
TOP POSTS alhamdulillah
- "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel"
- Saying "Laa Haula Wa Laa Quwwata il-la-Bil-Laah"
- Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Naseer!
- Muharram: Do's and Don'ts
- 'Allahumma Maalikal Mulki Tu'til Mulka Man Tashaa'u....'
- The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- As the ISLAMIC NEW YEAR is round the corner
NOTE: The above ↑ translations are in PDF files.
For Online Translations in:
Bangla, Czech, Farsi, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Maranao, Norwegian, Polish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Tatar, and Uzbek, Please VISIT quran.com/1
↑ Al Quran for MS-Word. This software will add a new menu “Al-Quran” as Add-Ins to MS Word.
BENEFIT: You can easily insert an ayah of the Qur'an or its translation to your word file, InshaaAllah
What Caring Readers Say..
- On the occasion of the New Islamic Year … | |-| Islamic Studies |-| on Muharram: Facts and Fiction
- On the occasion of the New Islamic Year … | |-| Islamic Studies |-| on Muharram: Do’s and Don’ts
- On the occasion of the New Islamic Year … | |-| Islamic Studies |-| on On the occasion of Islamic New Year….
- MuQeet on Nouman Ali Khan’s Tafseer Collection
- Nouman Ali Khan’s Tafseer Collection « YasSarNal QuR'aN on One Juz A Day with Nouman Ali Khan
- As the ISLAMIC NEW YEAR is Round the Corner « YasSarNal QuR'aN on On the occasion of Islamic New Year….
- Alang on Nouman Ali Khan’s Tafseer Collection
- Alang on Nouman Ali Khan’s Tafseer Collection
- Library Update: THE HISTORY OF AL TABARI « YasSarNal QuR'aN on Library
- Sumayya on Celebrating Eid the Islamic Way!
- Celebrating Eid the Islamic Way! « YasSarNal QuR'aN on ‘His cheek was on my cheek’
- As the ISLAMIC NEW YEAR is round the corner September 27, 2016
- Library Update: THE HISTORY OF AL TABARI September 17, 2016
- Celebrating Eid the Islamic Way! September 13, 2016
- Eid al Adhaa Mubaarak :) September 11, 2016
- The Duaa of Arafah is the Essence of Islam September 10, 2016
- Arafah: What a Great Day This is! Subhanallaah! September 9, 2016
- The Timeless Message of Hajj September 8, 2016
Search in this Blog
TagsAllah Arafah Dua Fasting Five Pillars Five Pillars of Islam Friday Guidance Hadith Hajj Hijri calendar Ibadah Islam Islamic Calendar Islamic Months Islamiyat Jumuah Makkah Muslims Muslim scripture Prayer Prophet Prophet Muhammad Quran Quran blog Ramadan Ramadhan Religion Salah Sawm Scripture Seerah Sunnah Supplication supplications Surah al Kahf UAE UAE News Worship Yassarnalquran Zikr
Reminder b e n e f i t s :)
Thank You :)
Site infoYasSarNal QuR'aN
Blog at WordPress.com.