ZamZam: Notes and Facts
What’s cool, refreshing and will quench your thirst in the hot, Arabian desert?
If you answered (fill in the name of the latest fad soft drink), you’re wrong.
ZamZam is the name of the well that provides the water billions of people have thirstily drunk from throughout history, especially during the Hajj pilgrimage.
It is linked to some of the most important personalities in world history: the Prophets Abraham and Ismail (peace be upon them) and Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), as well as Ismail’s mother Hajira (may Allah be pleased with her).
The Zamzam well is located in Makkah, which is the heart of the Hajj pilgrimage. Standing only a few meters east of the Kaba, the well is 35 meters deep and topped by an elegant dome.
How the Zamzam came into being
All traditions agree that Allah created the well to provide Hajira, the wife of Prophet Abraham (peace be upon him), and her baby Prophet Ismail (peace be upon him) with water in the hot, dry valley they were in.
In her desperate search for water, Hajira ran seven times back and forth in the scorching heat between the two hills of Safa and Marwa to provide for her baby who was dying of thirst. Today, this same act is a necessary rite of Hajj all Muslims, mothers and fathers, must complete.
Prophet Ibraham settled his family there as part of God’s mission for him. The first thing Hajira had to do then, was to look for water in the area. She was searching for it while watching at her son and would run whenever she could not see Ismail. Allah saw her effort and miraculously blessed the spot with a water spring.
ZamZam before the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)
The appearance of the Zamzam began the settlement of the Makkan valley, where the descendants of Prophet Ismail populated the area.
But as time passed, Prophet Ibrahim and Ismail’s monotheistic message which once dominated the region began taking a backseat to pagan, polytheistic beliefs.
Nonetheless, the well of Zamzam retained its importance in later generations. The grandfather of the Prophet, Abdul Muttalib, was honored with the responsibility of taking care of the well and the pilgrims to Makkah.
ZamZam water: the power drink
One of the miracles of Zamzam water is its ability to satisfy both thirst and hunger.
One of the Companions of the Prophet said that before Islam, the water was called “Shabbaa’ah” or satisfying. It was filling and helped them nourish their families.
After Islam, this powerful ability to quench thirst and fill stomachs remained. The Prophet said: “The best water on the face of the earth is the water of Zamzam; it is a kind of food and a healing from sickness.”
More recently, in the last few decades, samples of Zamzam water have been collected by scientists and they have found certain peculiarities that make the water healthier, like a higher level of calcium.
Zamzam water: a cure for sickness
Apart from its ability to serve as satisfying food and drink, Zamzam water’s health benefits are also commended. The Prophet said it was a healing from sickness.This is why pilgrims to Makkah to this day collect it in bottles to bring back for relatives and friends back home who are ill.
The Prophet used to carry Zamzam water in pitchers and water skins back to Madinah. He used to sprinkle it over the sick and make them drink it.
Wahab ibn Munabbah, who was the second generation of Muslims, said, “I swear by Him in those possession my life is, Allah Ta’ala will relieve the person of all illnesses who drinks ZamZam to his fill and will also grant him good health”.
ZamZam water and Hajj
During Hajj and Umra, pilgrims are recommended to drink Zamzam water to their fill to quench their thirst. They also continue the tradition of bringing it back for family and friends.
Related Read: Dates in the Qur’an and Sunnah
Share or Not. Choice is Yours. If you share, Allah will reward you. That makes a huge difference.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
October 29, 2010 - Posted by MuQeet | Hajj related | Abraham, Allah's Gift, Balad al Ameen, Hadith, Hagar, Hajira, Ibrahim, Ishmael, Ismail, Makkah, Miracle of Ismail, Muslims, Natural Water, Prophets, Pure Water, Quran, Quran blog, Ummul Qura, Yassarnalquran, Zam Zam
No comments yet.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
- Please SCROLL DOWN to find amazing resources, InshaaAllah.
- The Guide ↑ that inspires one to GET CLOSER to the Qur'an. Subhanallaah!
- About CHM file: After download, save, right click, go to Properties, and click Unblock. This has to be done only for the first use.
- Saheeh International's Translation is the most accurate of all English translations of the Qur'an that are available till date.
Knock, and it will Open!To know what this du'aa is about, keep the cursor on this image.
Thank You Akismet :)
W e l c o m e :)
ما شآء الله and الحمد لله for this blog.
هذا من فضل ربّ This is From the Blessings of my Lord.
اللهم بارك لنا فيما أعطيت O Allah! Bless Us in what You've given us.
All Posts, category-wise ↓
All posts, month-wise ↓
TOP POSTS alhamdulillah
- "Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel"
- Saying "Laa Haula Wa Laa Quwwata il-la-Bil-Laah"
- Ni'mal Maula Wa Ni'man Naseer!
- Nasrum Minallaahi Wa Fathun Qareeb
- Taaghuut. What is Taaghuut?
- The Significance of Last Two Verses of Surah Al Baqarah
- Amr bil Maroof wa Nahi 'anil Munkar
- 'Allahumma Maalikal Mulki Tu'til Mulka Man Tashaa'u....'
- Takbeer, Tahleel, Tahmeed and Tasbeeh
NOTE: The above ↑ translations are in PDF files.
For Online Translations in:
Bangla, Czech, Farsi, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Maranao, Norwegian, Polish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Tatar, and Uzbek, Please VISIT quran.com/1
↑ Al Quran for MS-Word. This software will add a new menu “Al-Quran” as Add-Ins to MS Word.
BENEFIT: You can easily insert an ayah of the Qur'an or its translation to your word file, InshaaAllah
What Caring Readers Say..
- Taaghuut. What is Taaghuut? February 26, 2017
- Explanation of the Hadeeth of the Man who killed 99 men! February 17, 2017
- It is sinful to celebrate Valentine’s Day February 12, 2017
- “The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide”. February 10, 2017
- An Introduction to Tajweed January 12, 2017
- Types of Salah and their Validity December 30, 2016
- Insights into Aayatul Kursi December 24, 2016
TagsAllah Dua Fasting Five Pillars Five Pillars of Islam Friday Guidance Hadith Hajj Hijri calendar Ibadah Islam Islamic Calendar Islamic Months Islamiyat Jumuah Makkah Muslim calendar Muslims Muslim scripture Prayer Prophet Prophet Muhammad Quran Quran blog Ramadan Ramadhan Religion Salah Sawm Scripture Seerah Sunnah Supplication supplications Surah al Kahf UAE UAE News Worship Yassarnalquran Zikr
Reminder b e n e f i t s :)
Thank You :)
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.